Sunday, March 13, 2011

Welcome to the Family

A lot has happened in a week!  Last weekend, my boyfriend took me to the botanical gardens because he found out they had a herb garden, and he figured I/we could learn some things.  The herb garden wasn't exactly in the best of shape, so he jokingly reassured me that "It's not my fault" as we took pictures of things like invisible basil:
We moved on to the second garden, which was supposed to be a children's garden.  It consisted of a pile of brown mush inside a dinosaur topiary.  Then we went to the third garden, which was in significantly better shape:
I was taking in the view through the Butler window, when all of the sudden, I heard my name, and looked to my left. It was my boyfriend, and he was down on one knee, asking me to marry him.
Of course, I said yes!
So, while I may not have learned much to help me with gardening at home, I definitely wouldn't say the trip was a waste.  :-)  I'm sure you'll pardon the digression...

Back to my plants!

Unfortunately, the morning after my last post, Oliver (oregano) was looking even worse, and I really thought he was beyond recovery.  I may have passed judgment too soon, but I threw him out.  :-(  May he rest in peace.

On the other hand, Silo (cilantro) has made a rather impressive recovery.  A little more frequent watering did him a world of good.

We took another field trip this weekend; this time to Red Barn gardening center.  That place is amazing!  We were like two kids in a candy store running from one side to another trying to determine which herbs and vegetables to get.  Even better than their selection, was their staff.  They were extremely helpful, giving us advice on when and where to plant, how big a pot is needed, how frequently to water, etc.  Thirty bucks later, we had a couple extra cilantro friends for Silo, three new tomato plants and a tomato cage, opal basil, red onion, asparagus, two lettuce plants and a renewed enthusiasm.

From there, we hurried off to Lowe's for some planter box building materials.  Long story short, we ran into a lot of obstacles and issues, and settled on getting a couple big pots and using our extra smaller pots at home.

All of our veggies are now safe and sound in their new pots, watered and fertilized.  Our family has grown tremendously:
Here's Silo with his new friends.  Silo's the tall one.  He is shooting up rather quickly, as many have forewarned me about.  I pinched off his top today to prevent him from going to seed.
Charlie, the cherry tomato plant:
My new (nameless) tomato plants:
Bella (bellpepper):
No individual photos of the others since they're technically not "mine."  My fiance is taking responsibility for the others.  

So now the real test begins:  Can any of our new family memberse survive and actually bare fruit or veggies?  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment